India successfully test-fired its home developed missile and now ranks as the fourth country in the world to master the technique of destroying a missile with a missile. The test was carried out at 9:45 am from Wheeler Island, Odisha, wherein a direct hit destroyed a modified Prithvi missile. The Ministry of Defense informed that the test of the Advanced Air Defense supersonic interceptor missile was a huge success.
Here is all that you need to know about India’s Advanced Air Defense missile:
- The supersonic interceptor missile has been designed to destroy any incoming ballistic missile found in low altitude.
- An incoming ballistic missile target was obstructed within the 30-kilometer altitude range of the Earth’s atmosphere in the test.
- As per the sources, tests ensured different parameters of the interceptor in flight mode. Sources from the Defense Ministry informed that the high-speed interceptor missile was the ninth test of this highly advanced air defense system.
- A Prithvi missile launched from the Integrated Missile Test Range in Chandipur was the major target.
- The single-stage solid fueled interceptor missile has a speed, which equals almost five times the speed of sound.
- The high-end interceptor missile is a bundle of modern advancements. It has its own mobile launcher, there is a secure data link for proper interception and state-of-the-art technology offering independent tracking and advanced radars.
- This is the third supersonic interceptor test of 2017. If targeted by enemy ballistic missiles, it would protect high-value installations.
- March 1 and February 11, 2017, were the dates when earlier tests were carried out.
- India is preparing another advanced missile defense system wherein higher speed ballistic missiles can be intercepted.
- Followed by the US, Russia and Israel; India becomes the fourth country to acquire this technology of destroying a missile with another.